The office offers many programs and services in the field of Applied Science besides organizing training courses in those fields. The programs include scientific awareness, guidance and advices for Governmental, academic and private sectors. FAO provide the following services:A- Physics Analysis Services include identifying radioactive isotopes, specific and accurate measurements of alpha and beta radiation of solid samples, gamma detection system, XRF and XRD analysis. The following techniques are available for these purposes:
- Nuclear techniques include handheld radiation isotope identifier which is a gamma rays detector and isotope identifier for water, soil sample or nuclear materials. Is well suited to support users from homeland security operations to contamination monitoring and remediation. It is also to check the contaminated material, tools, vehicles, instruments and machines. Besides checking imported materials, foods that are transiting through the country, which raising a doubt of probability of being nuclear materials. CANBERRA LB4200 Multi-Detector Low Background Alpha/Beta Counting System is another nuclear technique that is perfect for applications requiring high sample throughput with long counting times, or where a number of samples must be counted at the same time. High purity Germanium Koya Gamma detection system is useful tool to investigate Low-level environmental and food measurements. The system is created an efficient database of radioactivity in land, water, productions, imported materials and monitoring the fallout radioactive isotopes.
- X-Ray techniques include energy dispersive X-RAY Fluorescence spectrometer (XRF) in which the element present in the sample will emit fluorescent x-ray radiation with discrete energies. The energies of the radiation emitted by the sample are measured and the elements that are present in the sample can be determined quantitatively. X-Ray diffraction (XRD) has been in use in two main areas, for the fingerprint characterization of crystalline materials and the determination of their structure. Each crystalline solid has its unique characteristic X-ray powder pattern which may be used as a "fingerprint" for its identification. Once the material has been identified, X-ray crystallography may be used to determine its structure. XRD is one of the most important characterization tools used in solid state chemistry and materials science.
B- Chemical Analysis Services include analysis of environmental elements, chemical waste, pharmaceutical and petroleum products using advanced methods and techniques, below are some of the available techniques use for these purposes:
- Spectroscopic techniques as Agilent Cary Series models of UV- Visible, Eclipse Fluorescence and Agilent 200 Series Atomic absorption Spectrophotometers are sensitive, accurate and flexible techniques with accurate temperature control used for measurement of sample solution qualitatively and quantitatively.
- Thermal techniques as Linseis models of STA PT-1000 and DSC- PT10 techniques are measured both heat flow and weight changes in a material as a function of temperature or time in a controlled atmosphere. Simultaneous measurement of the material properties not only improves productivity but also simplifies interpretation of the results. It measures endothermic and exothermic transitions as a function of temperature. The instruments are used to characterize polymers, Pharmaceuticals, foods/biologicals, organic chemicals and inorganics.
- Electroanalytical techniques as 797 VA Computrace and NOVA Autolab Potentiostat Galvanostat are modern voltammetry measuring stand that connected to a PC via a USB port. The PC software provided controls the measurement, records the measuring data and evaluates it. It is included Voltammetry system for the determination of organic additives in electroplating baths with "Cyclic Voltammetric Stripping" (CVS). The PGSTAT combines the small footprint with a modular design.
- Separation techniques as Waters 2424 HPLC-MS and Agilent 7100 Capillary Electrophoresis are sensitive systems to separate and identify biomolecules and pharmaceutical products, respectively. In HPLC technique the compounds present in the sample mixture are separated depending on their affinity to the coated particles in the column. After the components in the sample are separated, they may pass through an assortment of detectors. The detector response and the "retention time" of the compound(s) of interest may then be compared to a reference material. Capillary Electrophoresis is to separate, quantify, enrich and purify biomolecules which differ in their electrical charge or polarity.
- Elemental analysis technique as Exter Analytical CE-440 Elemental Analyzer is determined carbon, hydrogen, and nitrogen content in organic and inorganic compounds with high accuracy.
- Besides Herzog Cloud/Pour Point - 852 technique utilizes standardized methods for pour point and cloud point determinations of oils and petroleum products.
C- Biological Analysis Services include serum analyzing, Elisa system, DNA sequencing, separation of nucleic acids using gel electrophoresis and other techniques as below:
- Flow-cytometry is a technology that is used to analyze physical and chemical characteristics of particles in a fluid as it passes through at least one laser. Cell components are fluorescently labelled and then excited by the laser to emit light at varying wavelengths. The fluorescence can be measured to determine various properties of single particles, which are usually cells. Up to thousands of particles per second can be analyzed as they pass through the liquid stream. Examples of the properties measured include the particle’s relative granularity, size and fluorescence intensity as well as its internal complexity.
- Oligo Synthesizer is the chemical synthesis of relatively short fragments of nucleic acids with defined chemical structure (sequence). The technique is extremely useful in current laboratory practice because it provides a rapid and inexpensive access to custom-made oligonucleotides of the desired sequence; we can produce primers up to 80 monomers.
- 3130 Genetic DNA Sequencer Analyzer is a technique that has become indispensable for basic biological research, and in numerous applied fields such as medical diagnosis, biotechnology, forensic biology, virology and biological systematics. We are ready to sequence genes up to 3000 bases.
- Humastar 80 Automated Serum Analyzer is analyzed the serum to its components and it’s efficient in use for both research and normal tests.
- Thermal Cycler also known as a thermocycler, PCR machine or DNA amplifier is most commonly used to amplify segments of DNA via the polymerase chain reaction (PCR).
- Complete Blood Counter (CBC) also known as a complete blood cell count, full blood count (FBC), or full blood exam (FBE), is a blood panel that gives information about the cells in a patient's blood, such as the cell count for each cell type and the concentrations of various proteins and minerals.
- ELISA involves an enzyme (a protein that catalyzes a biochemical reaction). It also involves an antibody or antigen (immunologic molecules). The test uses components of the immune system and chemicals to detect immune responses in the body (for example, to infectious microbes).
- BioLevitator brings the convenience of three-dimensional cell culture process to the bench-top for researchers. Research organizations are assured more control to maintain and passage multiple cell lines through a low-shear process within a temperature and CO2 controlled chamber.
- Pulsed field gel electrophoresis (PFGE) is a technique used for the separation of large deoxyribonucleic acid (DNA) molecules by applying to a gel matrix an electric field that periodically changes direction